Memorial Day weekend marks the start of summer, but the weather forecast is calling for rain. While your start-of-summer picnic might be out of the question, we do have a few suggestions for fun times to be had indoors.
- Austin Sketch Fest, celebrating and showcasing scripted comedy, continues through the weekend at Spider House Ballroom. Tickets range from free-$15.
- On Saturday starting at 4:30, the Hole in the Wall hosts Plaidstock, a tribute and benefit to Austin punk rocker Davy Jones. There’s a suggested $15 donation. Find more weekend music picks here.
- The Marchesa Hall and Theatre will host the Third Annual Capitol of Texas Aerial Championships, a showcase of novice to professional pole and aerial artists, on Friday and Saturday. Tickets are $35-$80.
- Choreographer Shay Ishii has curated “Dancestry,” a performance including rarely performed modern masterpieces, which will be at the Long Center this Friday and Saturday. Tickets are $14-$18.
- It really is summer – the Paramount’s Summer Classic Film Series kicks of this weekend with “Casablanca,” “Manhattan,” “The Iron Giant,” “Sunset Boulevard” and “Chinatown.” Admission is $12, unless you’re a Film Fan ($7) or purchase a “Flix-tix” book ($6).
- Closing this weekend: “Shrine of Inevitable Forces,” a not-to-miss site-specific installation in a vacant 1930s church. Check it out from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday-Sunday.
If none of that appeals to you, here are some more hot spots to stay out of the rain:
- The Thinkery: 40,000 square feet of activities for kiddos from birth to late elementary school. Take a tour of the museum with our interactive media guide. Admission is $9.
- The Austin Batting Cages, open until 9 on Friday and from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, on Ben White fill up on rainy days.
- Get spooked at the Alamo Drafthouse, “Poltergeist” is out this weekend in 2D and 3D with various showtimes. Find more reviews and showtimes on our movie page.
- Bake up a storm (no thunder) in your kitchen. Check out Addie Broyles’ blog for some baking ideas.
Have a great weekend and stay dry!